9/16/11

Social Networking and Voters

I found an article on Politico that was pretty interesting to me. It’s related to social networking and voters. Nowadays, most campaigns use social networks, like Twitter or Facebook, as a means of voter outreach. The younger generation of voters is more likely to logon to a social network first thing in the morning than to grab the paper off the porch. Reaching voters via Twitter or Facebook is a great way to spread the word about your campaign. The voters then have easy access to the candidate’s views and positions and have the ability to quickly and effortlessly share it with their Facebook friends or Twitter followers. A tool has been developed by a San Francisco based company, Votizen, which “matches Facebook and Twitter networks with voter data to get people to the polls”. People that volunteer to help out with the campaign can do “a virtual precinct walk” as opposed to face-to-face or door-to-door, as a way of selling the candidate. I found this article worth my while because I tend to get a lot of my political news and information from social networking sites. I do not get the full story there, but an interesting headline will pique my interest enough to do research and get the rest of the story from a credible news source. If you are also someone who gets news tips through social networking, this article will be very informative and interesting to you. I believe that this is just the next logical step as technology is so prominent in our society today.

No comments:

Post a Comment